Train to Tibet, Lhasa Tibet, Tibet Railway, Tibet Travel, Tibet tours and adventures


Latest news:

July 24
Tibet in the next few years will gear up environmental protection and improve living environment for farmers and herdsmen.

July 23
Attractions at the entrance to the Yarlung Zangbo Grand Canyon will be open to tourists at the end of this month, sources from Nyingchi Tourism Department.

July 21
Tibet's architectural icon, the Potala Palace, will only allow no more than 2,300 tourists a day and tickets for the palace should be booked one day in advance.

July 20
Spending 7.022 billion yuan on the housing projects in the past two years, the Tibet Autonomous Region has benefited 114,000 families.

July 19
On July 19, the Tashilhunpo Monastery has concluded its annual Buddha Painting Unfolding Festival, drawing thousands of believers and more than 2,000 tourists from home and abroad.

July 18
The press conference of the 3rd "Namtso" International Pedestrianism Conference was held on July 17 in Lhasa, capital of the Tibet Autonomous Region.

Travel document

According to Chinese laws, the international tourists are required to apply for both China visa and Tibet Entry Permit before they enter Tibet.

To apply for the China visa, please check with the China's Embassy or consulate at your country for details.

Here below is the basic knowledge of the application of China


Tourist "L" Visa is issued to an alien who comes to China for sightseeing or visiting family members/friends.


1. Your valid & actual passport which must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it.

2. One completed Visa Application Form (Q1) with one passport photo (black & white or color is acceptable).

3. An applicant who was born in China is required to submit his /her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa when he or she applies for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport.

● To apply for a Multiple Entry "L" Visa, a written explanation for the purpose of visit is require

● A foreign Chinese may apply for a Multiple Entry "L" Visa valid for 24 months.

● Note: If foreigners will go into Tibet from Nepal by either car or airplane, he/she has to apply for a group visa (even merely one person) through a qualified local travel agency at the China's Embassy in Nepal. In case there is an existing visa in your passport, this visa will be cancelled and a group visa will be issued instead without any charge. For more details, please visit the website of China's Embassy in Nepal.

Tibet Entry Permit:

Tibet Entry Permit is issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB) for the foreigner's entry to Lhasa or any other parts of Tibetan Autonomous Region. International tourists can get the permit through a qualified travel agency. Without the permit, foreigners can't buy the air or train tickets to enter Tibet. It is also an essential document to go to Tibet by car as there are checkpoints on the way.

The application usually takes one week long, please offer the required information to us at least 10 days before arrival.
Fee: RMB50 Yuan/person.

We can help our clients to get the permit with the adequate personal information offered in advance: the full name, sex, birth date, nationality, passport number, and occupation.

Journalists and diplomats are not authorized to go into Tibet as tourists. Their visit should be under the arrangement of Foreign Affair Office of local government.

Those international tourists, who intend to explore the remoteness of Tibet, are required to apply for Aliens' Travel Permit to get the approval of the local government.

Aliens' Travel Permit

According to China's law, some restricted areas are not open to the foreigners unless they apply for a permit from the Foreign Affair Division of local police station (PSB).

We will assist our clients to apply for the permit after their arrival in Tibet. The procedures are easy and usually take a couple of hours. Fee: RMB50 Yuan/person

The major closed areas in Tibet:
  Tsetang: Samye Monastery, Tomb of Tibetan King, Changdruk Temple, Yumbulakhang
  Shigatse: Sakya Monastery, The Mt. Everest area, Rongbuk Monastery
  Gyangtse: Pelkor Chode Monastery & Kubum Stupa
  Nqari Region
  Basumtso lake in Nyingchi Region
  Chamdo Region

The foreigners, who don’t have a travel permit, are found by the local PSB at the restricted areas. They will be fined, and even sent out of Tibet. If you don’t want to get in trouble, please ask for the assistance of local travel agencies before going to the places.